Wincanton Station

Wincanton Station

Photo by Jeffery Grayer (July 1967). © All rights reserved.

History

Wicanton station was opened in November 1861, by the Dorset Central Railway. It had two staggered platforms, one being around twice the length of the other. The goods area to the south of the station was quite busy with many sidings. The nearby racecourse brought a lot of horse traffic. The station closed to goods traffic on 5 April 1965 and completely with the rest of the line on 7 March 1966.

Current Status

Unknown, but the site is currently used by the large Wincanton road haulage company.

Can You Help Us? Please tell us about the status of this station.

Future Plans

Wincanton is rather a large place not to be rail served, so a new station will be built when the line reopens. It is hoped that the race traffic (horses and spectators) will be mainly rail based in the future.

Location

Map

Navigation

Gallery

Photo by Jeffery Grayer (july 1967). © All Rights Reserved. Photo From the C L Caddy Collection, Courtesy of Jim Type (c1950). © All Rights Reserved.

Learn More...

Page last updated: 08 May 2013