Photo by Stephen Sainsbury (28 April 1977). © All rights reserved.
Built on a curve, Wimborne opened on 1 June 1847 as a station on the Southampton to Dorchester line and operated by the LSWR. When it became part of the S&D in 1863, Wimborne became one of the most important stops in Dorset due to the convergence of several lines. Notable for its tall signal box on the up platform, this station saw many changes over the years including platforms and canopies.
Closure came on the 4 May 1964 for passenger traffic whilst some freight continued until 2 May 1977 when a class 33 hauled the last wagons down to Hamworthy. A day later, the Lea Valley Railway Society laid on three specials over the line called "The Corkscrew Shuttle". These were also hauled by a class 33, 33012 with a 4-TC carriage set behind, a fitting end to a fine part of Dorset's railway system.
The site of the old station is now commercial and housing developments including Wimborne Market.
With the imminent return of the Brockenhurst to Ringwood branch, there will be strong demand for the line to be extended from Ringwood into Wimborne. Also when Broadstone is rebuilt, the S&D will march triumphantly back into the thriving town of Wimborne.