Templecombe (Upper and Lower) Stations
Photo by Tom Scott (March 1966). © All rights reserved.
The Lower station at Templecombe was a single platform, originally a terminus but later little used, most trains using the spur up to the Southern main station on the Waterloo-Exeter route, where many passengers changed trains for onward transit. The original Lower station was opened on 18 January 1862 and closed on 17 January 1887, the Lower Platform opening on the same day at a site between the LSWR main line and Combe Throop Lane road bridge. The platform could only accommodate two coaches. The Lower Platform closed on 3 January 1966, the original closure date planned for the S&D.
Can You Help Us? Please tell us about the status of this station.
Templecombe station on the main line to Exeter closed on the same day as the S&D (7.3.66) but was reopened on 3 October 1983. The Salisbury to Exeter line is likely to be developed substantially over the next twenty years with possible electrification. For this reason the rebuilt S&D should utilise the main line station as there will be many opportunities for flexible workings and interchange. The old junction arrangements were far from perfect, even if great for railway buffs! There may need to be major remodelling of the junctions, providing it doesn't turn the village into a railway nightmare! This would allow the running of through trains if junctions to north and south were built. An alternative would be to reopen and extend the lower platform with perhaps an elevator/moving pavement arrangement linking the two stations on an upper/lower basis.