Photo by Mick Knox (17 February 2009). © All rights reserved.
Chilcompton was opened on 20 July 1874 with the opening of the S&D's Bath Extension. The station was set on the hillside overlooking the village with two platforms, one almost twice as long as the other. Sidings for freight were on the down side and also a small goods shed and additional sidings used for loading coal from New Rock Colliery. The station closed to freight on 15 June 1964 and completely on 7 March 1966.
At least one platform survives, but no buildings.
Temptingly close to Midsomer Norton which lies 2 miles to the north it is likely that trains, albeit heritage ones, should return to the station in the not too distant future, though there is the small matter of a large in-filled cutting between the two to be overcome. South of Chilcompton there are no real obstacles until Shepton Mallet, so this section of the line will be priority three (after Midsomer Norton-Bath and Blandford-Bournemouth) in the New S&D's plans.