Photo by Jeffery Grayer (c1968). © All rights reserved.
Ashcott, on the branch line to Burnham-on-Sea, was opened in July 1856 (as Ashcott and Meare), renamed Ashcott in 1876 and was closed to freight on 13 July 1964 and completely on 7 March 1966. It consisted of a single platform, originally wood and later replaced by a pre-fabricated Southern Railway structure. There was a red brick station building and a single siding.
There were peat works in this area with two lots of sidings connecting to the line. The Eclipse Peat Company in addition had a two foot gauge network.
The site is still obviously of railway origin and unblocked. The concrete posts of the platform fencing are still in situ, although part hidden in the undergrowth.
The station would be rebuilt and reopened with any general revival of the branch.